Jeff Vanderstelt on Parenting via Twitter
Yesterday Jeff Vanderstelt, elder at Soma Communities in Tacoma Washington, posted a string of tweets about parenting, that were very helpful. I figured I would collect them and post them here for those who do not follow him online could read and reap the benefits from.
- Parents: Using the Consequences OF sin to get kids to stop sinning will only lead to MORE sin…
- Parents: If you use shame on your kids you will train them to hide and deceive.
- Parents: If you use Guilt on your kids you will train them to blame & look away from Jesus to find another atonement
- Parents: Train up your child in the way he should go… he should go to Jesus who removes shame & guilt
- Parents: Fear of punishment as primary motivator will train ur child 2 seek 2 avoid pain, suffering and sacrifice 4 others
- Parents: Fear of losing ur approval will train ur child 2 live 4 the approval of others, from worshipping u to another god
- Parents: Ur job is not to add more consequences. It is to lead ur Children to Jesus who deals w the wages of sin
- Real consequences of sin = guilt, shame, fear of punishment, loss of trust, broken relationships. Jesus can remove and mend all of these.
Jeff recommended these books to someone who ask him for recommendations on parenting resources; Give Them Grace by Elyse Fitzpatrick & Gospel-Powered Parenting by William Farley. I would recommend following Jeff on Twitter, or on Facebook.